While a vacuum cleaner is very effective removing dirt and debris that has accumulated in your carpet, its only good for daily cleaning and doesn't help sanitize your carpet. If you find yourself without a steam cleaner, don't worry as there are plenty of methods to sanitize your carpet.
Here are some steps on how to sanitize your carpet without a steam cleaner:
1. Clear the area. Remove all furniture on the carpet in the room you want to clean. If you can't move some furniture, wrap the legs with plastic to prevent water damage.
2. Vacuum the carpet. Before you start your cleaning, begin by vacuuming the room to remove any dirt and debris that can be easily removed by a vacuum. Focus on high-traffic areas. Sprinkle baking soda on your carpet and let it sit for 15 minutes to treat any stains.
3. Make your cleaning solution. Fill a bucket with one part white vinegar and three parts room temperature water.
4. Scrub your carpet gently. Start with dipping your sponge into the cleaning solution and scrub gently. Get your carpet just a little wet. Start from a corner of the room and work backward while cleaning in small areas.
5. Rinse your carpet. Once you're through cleaning your carpet with the cleaning solution. Switch the solution out for cold, clean water. Use a rag and start at the corner where you started to clean and work your way backward.
6. Dry the carpet. Use dry towels by placing them on the wet parts of the carpet and pressing firmly to absorb the water. You can use fans to speed up the drying process. Open the windows to allow for air to circulate the room.
7. Vacuum the carpet again. To make sure the carpet is thoroughly clean and no more dirt, vacuum over the carpet again. This will remove any residue left behind and make your carpet fully again.
Following these steps will continue to keep your carpet clean and will also help save money. For all your carpeting needs, contact Flooring Liquidators today.